What do you do when you find this in your garage? Scream, right? And then you see the mouse run off, right? Well, I screamed alright, but this mouse wasn't going anywhere. He was alive, and moving his head around, but not his feet. Ugh, I'm shuddering as I write this, and my heartrate is still not back to normal. The kids wanted to see, so I let them, and I even told them to tell it to go away, and they screamed as loud as they could, but it didn't go anywhere. At this point, SOP is to call your husband, right? Well, mine was too far away to be helpful. Now what? Well, after I seriously considered calling husbands of friends, knocking on neighbor's doors, or asking a complete stranger that was walking by, I decided to stop freaking out and just take care of it. Oh, wait, it was still alive at this point, and I was NOT about to kill and dispose of a mouse and so I didn't know what to do. So, I went in the house and continued on with my afternoon for a little while, hoping this was all just a nightmare. Although, I started to think that the only thing worse than getting rid of the thing would be to leave it there to creep me out, or what if it did disappear and I'd have no idea where it went?
Anyway, after checking that it was still there a few times (all the while trying to act brave and non-chalant for the kids), and finally noticing that it had really died, I summoned all the courage I could muster and I got the dustpan that we only use in the garage and half a roll of paper towels to make sure I wouldn't actually feel anything if I did have to grab it and dumped it in some triple bagged Walmart bags and ran it to the garbages. I'm pretty proud of myself, I must say, and now just hope I can sleep knowing that it is still in my garbage out back. Guess what day my garbage day is? Yes, it was today, so I will get the goosebumps for a whole week now when I look at my garbages. Does that negate my superhero status?
10 comments:
I can't believe you took a picture of that thing. Just looking at it creeped me out! I REALLY hate mice. I would have definitely called someone or just avoided the garage and cried in my house until help arrived.
Anyone who can pick up a mouse is a superhero in my book.
I agree with Julie. Our hats are off to you. The picture is going to give me nightmares of mice in garages.
Any idea what was wrong with it?
We have tons of poison around the garage, so I'm just assuming it had a lovely poison dinner. Notice that I didn't get very close for the picture? Ha. And then I go and pick, well, scoop it up! I knew I wanted proof, though. Oh, and I didn't mention that I was seriously screaming the whole time I was getting it.
been there, only in my LIVING ROOM. we had a mouse that we had spotted a couple times in the house, so we got some poison. dave left for work before 6am, and i babysat a little girl starting at about 7. i was laying on the couch watching a movie with her until andersen woke up, and went to stand up and almost stepped on a dead mouse. i had 2 small children in the house (one of them sleeping) and no husband for like 11 more hours. i had to flip it into the lid of a gift box with a pen. NASTY. and it left a wet spot on the floor. sick.
SUPER WOMAN!! Hats off to you for the disposal of a creature that should not be near our homes. WE had one in our house in Utah around Thanksgiving. It was very difficult to catch and I was certain we would not be able to dispose of it until it showed itself at Thanksgiving dinner! It did finally get caught so no surprises for the special meal.
Your little visitor reminds me of the thoroughly dried out one we found when we moved the hutch in the family room in Orchard Park. He didn't care, must have been dead for a long time! They truly are disgusting, that's why I could never get into the mouse-chef kids movie, Ratatoullie,sp? This incident just shows what a brave, capable woman you are! I'm thinking John would have loved the mouse disposal challenge, how did Sara react?
I had to clean up a dead one outside yesterday too! My lovely cat leaves them lying around the backyard a couple times a week! Sometimes its just the head though. Gross! Last winter we had a live one in the basement, and you should have seen RYAN and I screaming as we tried to catch it in a jar to take it outside. We found it frozen to the ground where we threw it after the snow melted! Definately creepy stuff! Way to go! Call if you need to borrow our cat next time!
Heather, I was actually trying to think if I knew of anyone with a cat. And now that I hear how often you get to deal with mice bits and pieces, I will not be getting a cat anytime soon! I thought the whole point of a cat was that they took care of the mice. :o)
Ish! I think I would have just left it for the husband to dispose of when he got home. I did have to clean up some nasty critters often from our pool skimmer in MD. Fortunately, it was contained in a basket that could just be dumped in a bag.
Gag. I HATE mice!!! I had one in my house once, and my big plan was to bribe the neighbor's cat to come in and get it, because that's what cats do - right? NOT. That lazy animal curled up on my couch and went to sleep! You're brave Kate. I put a bucket over it upside down and put one of my weights on top of the bucket and waited for Dave to get home. Ha ha! I'm so proud of you!
Post a Comment