Thursday, June 4, 2009

Graduation, not Operation


So, just in case Sara told any of you about her operation party and you were confused and/or concerned, it was actually graduation that we were celebrating last week. Check out these little Joy School Graduates! They were so proud of themselves, it was just too cute! They had learned 3 songs to sing for their graduation, and they did a really good job on them.

Emily made the adorable caps, certificates, report cards, and she brought balloons, which always make things seem super special. The kids had a ball while we were trying to practice, maybe because I set up the videocamera to connect with the TV as I was filming them--I thought they might take it more seriously, but I think it had the opposite effect. Of course they got pretty silly about it, and couldn't keep their eyes off of the TV, but it was fun. After the "ceremony" we took them to McDonald's to have a special lunch, so I think they totally loved the day.

We are going to miss Joy School with Gabe and "Mrs. Emily" SO much, and I think I've put off posting these pictures, because then it seems like it will officially be over. Nooo!! I can't believe the school year is over already. I had lots more fun than I thought I would, being a teacher and I know my kids have loved every minute of it--especially the days they got to go to Gabe's, of course. Anyway, I don't quite know how to express how I feel about the whole thing, but sometimes you get lucky and something works out really well. Well, now I'm crying so maybe I'll just leave it at that. I'm not going to say goodbye, though, because we're going to visit, for sure! We'll miss all you VanYperens, and KY will be lucky to have you!


This is when we were finishing up our "rehearsal," and they just decided to stand like this for some reason, and I had to take a picture...then, they got all crazy, and I let them hoping they'd get it out of their system.

Then, here they are for the "real" thing, and they decided to stand like they were again, and I thought it was so cute!
I'm not sure what to say about Sara's expression here, but that seemed to be her singing face that day. I hope she wasn't as terrified as she looked, but she didn't seem to be. And, No, I don't think John was hurting her, although it looks kind of like it.

For their "school song," they used poms poms. The boys may be embarrassed some day, but it was super cute.

l
I love this look on John's face checking out his report card. "Hmm, I knew I was smart!"


Sara did have a report card, too, but that picture was blurry for some reason.
This is them looking at themselves on the TV...hams!
Now I just need to figure out how to get the video on here, it was too funny.

8 comments:

Kim said...

Way cute and fun! I love teaching my kids!

Seth and Julie said...

Hooray for Joy School!

That face John is making is the same one he was wearing while he examined his cookie dough ball at play group the other day and I caught it on camera too. It looks just like Jared.

I love that you posted a ton of pictures. They all look so cute. I love this new pose where they all put their arms around each other. It is amazing how much they have grown and changed this year.

Cheryl said...

So cute. If it's all right I would love to look at your joy school curriculum sometime. Emily had planned on showing it to me but time just got away from us.

Heather said...

Props to you for making it through as well! Fun times!

LeShel said...

There's some treasured memories!!
WHAT CUTE KIDS~

Carlsbad Whitings said...

How rewarding, seeing the light of knowledge in little kids eyes. Congrats to you and Emily for doing such a terrific job teaching those little "angels". They all are so cute and smart. I loved all the pix, keep them coming! John and Sara are so grown up.

Jen said...

Congrats to the graduates! What a fun ceremony for them. It looks like you guys do a really good job with the Joy School.

Unknown said...

Oh, I love this post but it does show that it is officially over. I agree that it just worked. I loved it too and I am soooo grateful to Mrs Katelin for her willingness to do it. I don't know who will miss John and Sara more----me or Gabe. They are so smart and sweet. I am definitely a fan of joy school especially if you have someone as awesome as Katelin to work with. I know that we will see each other again (when are you coming to visit!!) but I will really truly miss Joy School and seeing you and the kids so often. Thanks again for and absolutely amazing school year. Gabe and I both learned a lot!