So, last Saturday morning we rolled out of bed early to get out the door to the annual County Dairy Breakfast. Kind of a funny tradition that we have around here to go with a bunch of families from church to visit a different farm each year that hosts the breakfast and shows off their farm, but the kids were so excited. Jared was predicting a muddy mess since it had rained 5" the night before (not to mention the tornadoes, which are another story) and everything was flooded and he was pretty much right, but it wasn't too bad--just nice and steamy and stinky! I will however say that this farm had a lot more cows than most of the others that we've been to (and I think we've gone at least three other years). Anyway, it was totally disgusting to check out the big barn with lots of cows and listen to their bowels go to work--I don't know if we just happened to be there right in time for the morning bathroom break or what, but it seemed like they were all just letting loose! Good thing we had already eaten. Gross! The kids just haven't stopped talking about how the cows just pooped and peed right on the floor and then walked in it. I'm not sure they'll ever get over it--and I'm going to have to block it out next time I get a Whopper, which I LOVE.
Sara was nervous when we left the house and didn't take any food with us. How were we going to eat breakfast in a barn if we didn't bring it? Cute. Well, here's how we get breakfast in a barn: you pay $6 and they give you a heap of ham'n'cheese eggs substitutes that were cooked using dust pans as the spatulas. Yum. I preferred the bread and real butter and the chocolate milk. What is it about chocolate milk? It's just so good! So, here are the pictures: Here is what we saw as we drove up to the farm.

And here is why I have got to convince Jared once and for all that posed pictures are better than candids.

And the dust pan eggs.

And why else he should pose and smile for pictures... :o)

I guess it was a little early even for the kids to get their smiles out.

These calves were pretty cute, but Sara kept saying she wanted to go back to the table--she had put sandals on, which I didn't even think about, so she kept getting little rocks in her shoe and completely freaking out. Wah. Note to self--lace-up shoes on the kids next time!


I'm not sure if Chloe was too impressed yet...

But John and Sara were starting to get into it!

Yes, that calf has poop all over his head--and of course it was the friendliest one. Figures.


Then these were the one-year-olds...


And then I didn't even take any pictures of the other barn with the older pooping cows. I'm sure you're disappointed. They did have a tractor out for trying out:

Help, Daddy!


And they had some other kid friendly things, like this pit of soy beans. I turn around for one second and my husband buries Sara in the beans. As my friend said, she was willing, but didn't seem to be too thrilled about it.




Anyway, the Dairy Breakfast was fun, and now I know that if Wisconsin were its own country it would rank FIFTH in the world for cheese production. How did I get along without knowing that before?
5 comments:
That looks like so much fun! I love the pictures of Sara getting buried. She is such a good sport!
Poor Sara went into the beans like a lamb to the slaughter. It made a cute picture though.
This year was a little nastier than usual but I love the good old cheap Dairy breakfast. And I have a whole new appreciation for the people who live there so that I can have milk, cheese and steak.
love the pictures! it looks like a super way to spend a saturday morning. we're going to have to catch it next year.
Looks like a fun time! I wish the girls and I could've made it, but the storms changed the course of my family's arrival from out-of-town. I hope we can make it out next year.
Those poopy cow pictures remind me of going "shit kicking" out in the cow pasture with my Grampa Cole. We were looking for maggots for fishing! I bet Jared would go for that sport.
From now on I have to just enjoy your cheese stories, Doc told me today to give it up. Cholesterol is too high. How can that be? Oh yeah, my favorite food is butter and my second favorite is things made with cream and butter. I'm just trying to obey my Grandmother, the farmer, who said "Eat butter, support the farmers
Loved the pictures, Thanks!
Post a Comment