Saturday, May 2, 2009

Do Bumblebees Sting?

Some (if not all) of you have surely heard it said that bumblebees do not sting.  This is categorically not true.  It is not true even a little.  Sometimes if a bumblebee gets stuck in the grass while you're out walking with your kids, and you pick it up to show it to them because they (bumblebees) don't sting - it will sting you.  Sometimes, even after you've been holding it for well over a minute, letting your kids pet it, and not noticing any kind of stinging apparatus, the bumblebee can almost instantaneously produce one, and quickly sting you twice in the finger before you can even finish yelping and flick it away.  And if a bumblebee does sting you, even if you are a grown man, the pain can make you lightheaded.  And after it stings you, it can hurt so bad that even six hours later that night it is hard to typ.  Just thought you would want to know.

Jared

7 comments:

LeShel said...

Dang!

Melissa said...

That is some valuable information. Thanks for sharing. Only you would pet a bumblebee.

Seth and Julie said...

You are kidding, right? I mean...you know EVERYTHING so surely you knew that bumblebees sting and ought not be pet????

Heather said...

Are you speaking from experience!? Of course they sting! Havent you seen the movie "Bees"?! They have a whole extra about all the kinds of bees and how painful they are in comparison to each other. The bumble bee is by far the most painful! If you got stung, Im sorry!

Carlsbad Whitings said...

Bad luck! Your kids will probably never eat honey again! I stepped on a bumblebee once. Yes, they sting! I hope you didn't immediately find out you are allergic. Glad you're okay and much better informed.

Tanya said...

You make me laugh!! This would only happen to you. Thanks for the information.

Unknown said...

sounds like a NY TIMES best seller. "Do Bumblebees Sting? and other questions I thought I knew the answers to. by Jared Morton"

I'd buy a copy.

How bout "Does Mountain Dew Glow if you put Hydrogen Peroxide in it?"

You make me laugh