Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas finally came!

Well, as I'm sure you're all aware, Christmas finally came! Yay! I was so excited! In the last few days leading up to it, we made lots of different goodies, like these chocolates. They were pretty fun, but only looked cute from this far away. Always nice to find another thing I don't have the gift for. Sigh, but it was fun. Then Jared requested I make this for him to take to work:

Oh, it's SO yummy! I'll have to post that recipe sometime. If you don't know, I have this major thing for almonds, and this is an almond puff pastry, so, well, there just aren't words for it! :o)

The forecast was calling for a huge storm for Christmas Eve, so Jared's work canceled their patients, so he didn't even have to go in. Bonus! Too bad he spent half the day digging out from this:

The kids played and played while he shoveled, and I did some clean-up inside. Jared thought he better even shovel off the balcony and also decided to put the patio furniture in the shed, so he tossed it over into the yard, and then the kids discovered it was fun to play on:

Christmas Eve we were invited to a party, so when we got home we just hurried and put them in their jammies and snapped this picture. You can't see in this picture, but the cookies for Santa weren't even frosted. We assured the kids that Santa would still like them!

They were pretty excited about this, and sweet little Sara was insisting that I open the gift from them first. That's what she's trying to find in this picture. I was surprised they didn't just want to open the biggest first, but John stuck with his plan to open one I had put under the tree a few days before.

She looks a little scared in this picture, but she really loved the dollhouse. A lot. Even though she kept saying that she "barely" wanted it. She kept saying that about all things she got, meaning she really wanted them, but it was funny how much that changed the meaning.

And the start of the dinosaurs...

I think this next one is my favorite picture. We let them buy movies for each other, and this was after Sara opened hers from John. A totally unprompted hug! Aw.

One happy kid:
And another with a cute cat from G and G Morton:


Check out this face on John when he opened the Legos...

Long story, but I couldn't decide what Legos to get him. They have a duplo dinosaur set, but I thought it was too babyish. They have a set that you build a big stegosaur with, but the Lego guys at the store said it was pretty advanced and it was $70, so I didn't buy then. I kept looking. I bought two other sets at other times and returned them, after deciding he didn't want Legos as much as I wanted to get them for him, so I was going to get a smaller set and have more $ for dinosaurs. Anyway, the time got down to it, and every store by me was out of the basic sets, so I had the kids with me at the Mall of America when I bought this. I told them it was for a "little boy" (giving them the idea of someone else, but I didn't lie, I swear) who still needed a present, but I did ask John what he thought, expecting him to say he could only hope he'd get something so great. Well, he told me he wouldn't want it. What?! That's what you get when you ask a five-year-old what they think, I guess! I figured I'd be able to make him see the light, so I bought it anyway. So, that's why he's looking at me like that. By the way, he did like them later, but I think I had more fun with them than he did. Sigh.

Since John's love of dinosaurs really started to thrive when we borrowed Prehistoric Planet from the Gotbergs, that's the movie Santa thought John had to have..Sara got Mulan, but happend to be opening this kitty when I was snapping this shot...

A book from G and G Morton--now that's a genuine smile!
John with his goods:

And Sara:

Notice the fire--that was awesome. We've really enjoyed the fireplace so far. It's so cozy. And here's the marbleworks toy I raved about. Jared and I built the marble maze to show them kind of what to do, and it was cool. The whole day we just played and played. The kids never even got dressed. It was great.


Sara got these cute mini princess coloring books from Chase:

Oh, and the cinnamon rolls I'd been wanting to make for a long time. I never plan ahead well enough, so these were not ready by breakfast time, but they were still a welcome afternoon snack.

I didn't want to plan food (other than the cinnamon rolls), so I was planning to get Chinese take-out like we did last year for our Kung-Fu Panda Christmas. Well, all the Chinese places around were closed, except one that I finally found. It was close, though!

See, they are playing with the Legos, but still with their other favorites at the same time. Funny monkeys!

Anyway, it was a really nice Christmas, and now I need to re-arrange things to make room for new toys. Yay.

Oh, I almost forgot two funny things from that day. The kids got electric toothbrushes in their stockings, and Sara misunderstood the powers of it, I guess. Because when John started brushing his teeth and I was still opening Sara's, she told him to let go of it, because it could brush his teeth by itself! Ha! Then that night she said in her prayers, "Please bless President Jesus." She said that right after she said bless President Monson, so maybe that short-circuited her brain. Anyway, it was funny.

Hope you all had a great Christmas!

10 comments:

The Kindle Family said...

Sweet that Jared got Christmas Day off! I wanted to get Aubrey a cute dollhouse... but they were pretty expensive, sad I know, but for sure for her 3rd b-day! Tyler did the same thing John did... by wanting to open a certain gift from Nana and Papa that I put under the tree the on Christmas Eve. He thought since it had musical notes on the wrapping that it would be a xylophone ! So funny! Glad you had a great Christmas! Your house looks so cute by the way and I love all that snow! (Have you gotten a snowblower yet?)

The Kindle Family said...

I meant Christmas Eve... oops.

cindave said...

how fun! we used to have a marble works thing like that and we loved it!

Carlsbad Whitings said...

I almost feel like I was there on Christmas morning, the pictures are so great! The snow also felt familiar, even here we are getting more snow this morning. Parker and Jane are amazed by it as we hardly ever get any here or in Lubbock. My satelite is covered so we are watching old "Raiders" VCR's. They still hold up pretty well.

Your almond pastries looked awesome. I made about 20 this season. Everyone always loves them and is very impressed with our baking prowess. Good choice!

So glad you had a good Christmas. So did we and your dad gave me a plane ticket to anywhere SW airlines flies for a present. I just looked and service to Minneapolis starts in March. Maybe Jared and I can celebrate our birthdays together. Let me know when the snow melts! Much love to you all.

Emily said...

Looks like so much fun!!! The kids look so happy and I definitely love the unprompted hug picture. I am actually a little jealous of the snow.

Seth and Julie said...

What an awesome post. So many comment worthy things.

I heard you guys got slammed with snow, but if you have to get snowed in, Christmas is the best time to do it. It rained all day on Christmas here and melted what little snow we had. You must have taken the cold and the snow with you when you left. You can keep it, except for on Christmas. Then we'll take a little bit.

The chocolates look awesome. Those are hard to do. I tried once and I was lousy, but now I am going to put it on my list of new stuff to do with the kids.

I love the new jammies, and Sara's hair just keeps getting longer with every new post.

The impromptu hug is magical! I love when you actually catch those moments. Perfect!

I almost got the Marbleworks thing for a b-day party recently but I was skeptical about a really big box for only $20. Is it pretty sturdy? It looks fun.

Oh, and were those Erin's (or Prudence Pennywise) cinnamon rolls with maple icing? They looked so yummy and I wanted to make them on Christmas, but never got to it. They look awesome, so whatever recipe you used should be shared. And the almond bread, share that one too.

Anyhow, looks like it was an awesome Christmas. I just wish you were here so the kids could get together and be really loud and obnoxious with all their new toys.

We miss you!

LeShel said...

Awesome Christmas! Your kids are adorable! I'm glad they got some great gifts!

I love Sara's prayers. I wish our President was Jesus.

Melissa said...

Sounds like you had a great Christmas! I LOVE seeing the kids all excited ... my favorite part for sure! Miss you.

Jen said...

Wow, looks like lots of yummy treats and tons of great gifts. You definitely got a white Christmas, too. Glad you had a great time!

Kati said...

So fun!! I'm so glad you had such a great Christmas! I can't believe all that snow, holy cow!