Monday, January 4, 2010

Ring in the New Year with Pink Eye!

Yeah, I know you're all jealous. Just from that title, you can tell we had quite the party. Well, friends had invited us over for a New Year's Eve party, so we were looking forward to it. No signs of anything alarming, although John had had a slight fever a few nights before, but it hadn't turned into anything. Anyway, I had my lovely raspberry jell-o pretzel dish and deviled eggs all ready to go, and even had the kids nap (which I can't believe they did), so we were ready to party. Not long after we got to the party, John's eyes were both oozing goop. It was so immediate that we wondered if it was an allergic reaction, and it seemed strange that he'd have pink eye since we hadn't been around any kids for days. We tried to ignore it for a little while and wiped them out and washed him up real good. But, when John said his eyes weren't "good for seeing anymore," and since we didn't think it was proper to stay and expose everyone even more, we headed back home. John was so bummed out that we let them stay up and we watched Bolt and Jared made a fire.

So I spent the actual New Year trying to sanitize every square inch of the house and feeling guilty thinking all the other families at the party would all get it and hate us, but no one else ended up getting it--not even in our house, so at least that was lucky. And thank goodness we had some of the drops from the last time, and aren't they amazing!

Well, I've got to run, but just wanted to post a little something for your reading pleasure! Oh, and it has been so crazy cold since New Year's Eve that I'm about to start walking south again, except that that would mean going outside. On Saturday the high was -6. Jared was going to go flying with a new friend here who is obviously a pilot, but they couldn't get the plane started. It was that cold. Really.

6 comments:

Seth and Julie said...

Your kids really go out of their way to prevent you from having a social life, don't they? If it's not puke, or high fevers, it's pink eye.

I am cracking up at John saying his eyes weren't good for seeing anymore. I miss that funny kid!

When you start walking South, stop by my place and get me, and then we'll just keep walking until we get somewhere where they don't even know the temp can go below zero.

cindave said...

we're celebrating 2010 today with the pukes. andersen has been barfing just about every 20 minutes all day. awesome. it's been a couple hours since the last one, so i think we're on the mend. i hope!!!

Emily said...

Your kids are always good for a nice pinkeye aren't they? I am so sorry to hear about your weather. Ours is definitely better but it did get down to 12 degrees so I am a bit disappointed in old Louisville for that!

Jen said...

Pink eye is not fun. I got it one time while working at the Gap. It does come on fast. I remember getting to the store in the morning and thinking that my eye was awfully runny that day but didn't think anymore about it. About an hour or 2 later my eye was so pussy that I could barely see. One of my managers finally told me to go home because I was freaking out the customers. Poor, John! I hope his eyes gets better quickly. It is funny though that he said his eyes weren't good for seeing anymore.

Cheryl said...

Pink eye stinks. That was nice that you still let them have an at home celebration!

Margie said...

Pink eye- BOO! Sanitizing does not sound like a fun way to spend NYE, but at least the toys are now all clean... RIGHT?!?!?! :) ummm hello... keep walking south west right on over to sunny AZ. We have been a little chilly at night when it dips down into the 30's! Brrrrrrrr...