So, I just had to post that I made my friend, Julie's, Chicken Broccoli recipe yesterday, and it was perfection! THANK YOU for setting me up with my new best friend, Julie! We all loved it, and I'm a new convert to the world of French's French Fried Onions. I have literally never bought them before (is that un-American?), but I think I'll be using them in place of bread crumbs or corn flakes on any kind of casserole from now on. Here's her recipe, which I loved, because this is how I think through recipes, too:
Put chopped broccoli (frozen and thawed, or fresh, 16 oz.) in the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Cover the broccoli in shredded or chopped chicken. How much? I don't know...just some, so it covers the broccoli generously. Sometimes I even put the chicken on the bottom, this recipe is not that picky. If you are feeling lazy, and sometimes I am, just shred up a rotisserie chicken and throw that in the pan. In a bowl combine two cans cream of chicken soup and one cup mayonnaise, no Miracle Whip. In my opinion, even having Miracle Whip in your house could potentially ruin the outcome. Oh, and don't use Canola Oil mayo or anything like that because it is not fatty enough and it will not work. Just regular fatty Hellmans or Best Foods, depending on which side of the Rocky's you reside on. Add some curry powder in to the mix and some lemon juice, not too much of either. Pour the goop over the chicken and broccoli. Bake for 20 minutes. Add Cheddar cheese (lots) to cover the top and sprinkle with French's fried onions and bake until cheese is melted and everything is bubbly (20 min). My step dad uses bread crumbs on top and bakes it with the cheese on the whole time but if you use the onions, they will burn so you will have to either bake the cheese/onions for less time, or cover the whole operation with some foil. Alright, are you confused? Now you know why I dragged my feet about sharing. Not quite recipe book format. If you want a real recipe, search Chicken Divan on allrecipes, and I am sure they will have some options for you. But there...I answered...and kept my promise!
Back to me again. I was also going to mention that I loved the curry powder in it. I even licked the bowl to taste the "goop" part (well, using my finger) and then found myself unable to stop. Even with just the soup, mayo, lemon juice and curry, it was delish. Might sound weird, but you've got to try it!
I made rice to go along with it, but it could stand alone as well. How do you do it, Julie?
So, everyone should try it and tell Julie how good it is! Yum!
What Have You Been Canning this Summer?
7 years ago
5 comments:
I am glad you liked it and figured it out even with my low class recipe format. I usually do just eat it alone. Sometimes I make rice pilaf, but I don't serve it on top of it or anything.
French's Fried Onions are the BEST! Me and my step dad have had a long standing war over who makes Chicken Broccoli better and I officially stole all the votes when I tried French's Onions one day. I also put them on top of tuna casserole and it makes it so much more lively and less boring.
I have never used the french's onions either. I want to try this recipe but I'm afraid I would ruin it. I am not good at recipes like that. I can cook anything if you give me exact amounts but if not... I may still have to try it anyway.
HAve you never had green bean casserole?!?!? It HAS to have the F.F.Onions... Those FFO are YuMmmmm, i love eating them plain :) Can you come cook me some broccli soup?!??!?! Or post that for everyone... LOVE IT!
Julie, I'll definitely try it on my next tuna casserole. I was thinking for funeral potatoes, too.
Cheryl, here are some estimates for "measurements." I did one 16 oz bag of froz. flowerets--not cut broccoli, that stuff is always just stems. I probably did about 2-3 cups of chicken (pulled off a rotisserie one), about 2 tsps. each of curry and lemon juice. And I did 1 cup of cheese and probably about 2/3 cup onions. Now you've got to try it! :o)
Margie, I've had green bean casserole, but never made it somehow. Sad, I guess. Yeah, I've been snacking on those puppies now. Oh, the broccoli soup--another perfect way to use a bag of frozen broccoli! :o)
It's such a great recipe. My SIL treated us to it years ago, and I demanded the recipe immediately. So glad I did because it's great and so easy to make.
Post a Comment