Monday, July 27, 2009

Tents, Talks and Tomatoes


Well, I just thought I'd journal about our ward campout last Friday. Four families made up the grand total of our campers, so I'm thinking we're getting some extra points in Heaven for that, right? :o) I actually was looking forward to going, because 1) I'm a big S'mores fan and 2) Jared does most of the dirty work camping and 3) the kids were SO excited and 4) I knew we'd have fun sitting around the fire chatting it up! I was worried because last year it rained a lot in the night, and we had quite a battle getting the kids to sleep, but neither of those things were too bad this year--Sara fell asleep in her chair before we even did S'mores. It did rain a teeny, little bit, which I've come to expect as a rule when I camp. I think I got cursed somewhere along the way.

Anyway, other than the kids whining about food (which was pretty understandable since the Dutch Oven dishes weren't ready till well after 7:30 if I recall), and the crazy mosquitoes, it was quite a lovely evening. The bugs were seriously so bad that the next night for hours while I was working on my talk, I could still "hear" them buzzing in my ears. Ugh. We covered everybody in bugspray, but it didn't do too much good. Poor Sara looked awful--one eye was even swollen up--check out the pictures below.

I wish I would've taken more pictures, but I was having too much fun just hanging out. The next day was the ward Pioneer Day Picnic, which was a lot of fun, too. I got asked to judge the men's pie contest, which was not too bad, either! The committee had a lot of kids' games planned, so they kept the kids busy for a long time, so again, more sitting and chatting, my fav! Thanks to those in charge!


After it was all over and all the clean-up, unpacking, laundry, baths, and showers done, I found myself not as prepared as I wanted to be for my talk on Sunday, and too tired to get it together, so I rested for a while. And then rested some more. I had done a lot of reading, but couldn't quite decide where I wanted to focus. I finally got my thoughts together and finished about three in the morning. Then I was truly terrified that I'd oversleep, but luckily was able to get there in time. Whew. Anyway, glad that's over, and I'm glad to have had the chance to do some studying on the topic of Self-Mastery, which can be overwhelming, but I found a lot of wonderful info. I don't do as much studying as I should, so it was good in that way. Oh, and yes, Jared insisted I take a good, long nap after church, and I didn't argue.

And on to the tomatoes...You may remember the post about the Topsy Turvy tomato planter I got in May. Well, it seems to be working, I think! Check out the pictures...I've been meaning to post an update on it, and just remembered to take pictures today, so there you have it. Last time I counted, which was days ago there were over 50 on there. I'm sold!





9 comments:

Seth and Julie said...

I wish I'd taken pictures at the campout too...oops! It turned out to just be our regular weekend crowd and not the ward though.

I am still so annoyed that my 33 years mosquito bite free streak was broken though.

I forgot you were speaking Sunday but I did get there in time to listen to it in the hall. I tried to come in and sit with Seth but he was parked on the pew with Jared and your kids...those two are scary! Anyhow, you did a great job and made me feel guilty about not exercising and eating too much...dang it!!!

Emily said...

I wish we could have been at the campout! I am glad it was fun though. We are going to try camping here next weekend. I am curious to see how the mosquitoes will be.
And I am so glad that your tomatoes are working out!

LeShel said...

i wish i'd have been at the campout but honestly, even if i'd known about it we would not have been there. next year we'll be there, I LOVE CAMPING!! I just don't camp with babies.

I love your tomatoes, crazy yummy.

Katelin said...

Julie-I thought I saw Alyssa for a second in the very back, and I obviously noticed Seth go sit with Jared. Weirdos.

Emily-We missed you guys, and I was remembering JJ and Matt serenading at the campout 2 years ago, I think. Good luck camping--take pictures!

LeShel-definitely don't blame you for not going this year, but next year, consider yourself signed up! :o)

Melissa said...

I feel a little better knowing you guys are getting eaten alive by bugs as well. We went for a bike ride last weekend along the Jordan River, and I had six bites just on one knee! AAAHHHH!

I love your tomato thing. I've seen those around and wondered if they worked, so thanks for trying it out for me! Looks like it's doing pretty well! What kind of tomatoes are they?

Jen said...

Fun times! I was bad about taking pictures, too. I did remember to snap one with Mike and the girls in the tent as proof. So sorry that Sara gets such a bad reaction to those bites. Poor thing!

Glad to see that your topsy/turvy is working out. Mike is very excited to get some tomatoes from our garden. He's out there everyday pruning and counting.

Heather said...

So sad we missed all the fun...but not missing the mosquitos! Zack is finally healed up from his swollen eye!

Kim said...

Saige got eaten alive at the cabin too! The misquitos were the worst that they've ever been at the cabin! (That's because the bats have taken up residence in the boys loft and not outside where they belong!) Still looks like you all had a great time.

Carlsbad Whitings said...

Poor Sara, hate those bug bites! I saw something on tv that you hang on your belt and it protects you. Maybe next camping trip you should try it. YOur dad says our tomatoes look like trees now, so I'n hoping for a bountiful harvest when I get home. I don't think my topsy turvy did quite as well as yours. I don't think we got enough water to it. The fair sounded really fun, kind of Mary Poppinsish. I used to love the Blackfoot State Fair when I was a kid. My dad had a great pump exhibit there complete with water.
Great to get caught up with your news and pix. Love, Mom