Saturday, February 20, 2010

February Adventures

So, it seems like we've been out and about a lot (and in a LOT more), and done a lot of things I haven't posted about, so I thought I'd do a catch-up catch-all post. So, we went to a Clifford day at the Mall of America and then got to meet Dora (John didn't want to hug her).

We did some painting one day for school, and I noticed that Sara was using both hands at the same time. Is that normal? I thought it was cute.


We went to Minneapolis a couple Saturdays ago to visit the Swedish Institute of America, which is housed in a cool castle, right near Jared's work. It was pretty interesting, and a truly amazing building. Kind of a sad story of the family, because they were "new money" so they were never accepted into society, so their lavish mansion was basically never used. I guess they invited guests once for a party and no one came, so they never did again. Guess money can't buy everything. Anyway, the kids liked this fun room where they could design things. Sara made the thing on the black wall behind her, and John was having fun with the snap blocks. Truthfully, so was I....


I've already forgotten what these cool Swedish horses are called, but Brady and Jessica brought us one as a souvenir from their trip there a few years ago, so we thought it was cool to see this giant, toy one, and of course the kids loved the ride.


And the outside of the castle...

And a few days later, this is the scene that welcomed the day. Doesn't that make you want to go outside and play? Ha.

Jared thought he better get some of that snow off the balcony, and also get rid of some of the icicles, so the kids loved that.

Oh, and Jared has decided to go for the beard thing. I actually think it looks pretty good, and I might grow one myself if it'd keep me warmer around this joint!


And for Valentine's day, we made some fruit loop rice krispie hearts for our Joy School party.

And in honor of the Olympics starting, and to see how my kids stacked up to cousin Maggie, who is quite the gymnast, I found an open gym to go to last Friday. I've got to figure out how to get a video on here, because I took some that were pretty funny, but let's just say that my kids were not flipping off the end of the trampoline into the foam pit like Maggie was. Sara kept saying, "I'm frightened!" I even offered them money, and they really were trying, but just a little too scared. I tried to help them, and they were improving, and anyway, we had a lot of fun, but I think Maggie wins. That was fun, though, and Sara especially keeps asking to go again. I'll have to look into classes, but this one was kind of far. There are probably some closer.




And one more picture to show what a lovely winter we've been having. A few days last week were especially foggy, and so in the morning we woke up to this:

I guess it's called hoar frost, which is a bizarre name if you ask me, but it's pretty cool looking. Every square centimeter is covered. Every twig, every everything is covered in this white frost. It actually was beautiful, but just looked COLD!

So, there you have it. You're all caught up. Oh, one more story. I took John to the doctor for his shots for kindergarten, but it was just for him (they had an opening for just one that I took so I could get the shots done by the registration deadline). I'll have to take Sara in soon, too, but this time it was just for him. He was very brave, and told me he just needed to take four deep breaths and then he wouldn't cry. So he did. Then that night they were telling Jared all about it, and Sara said that she didn't get shots because she had tights on! Isn't it funny the way things make sense in their minds?

Sara desperately wants to type: sarazxcvbngojohnpoiuytgfrrrrrvvvtcdevbhgyiopzzasjuitreszxq1

9 comments:

Cheryl said...

That gym looks like so much fun. Also, the castle is so cool.
I can't believe the size of those icicles! That is crazy.

Seth and Julie said...

Those icicles are AMAZING, but I am glad I'm not looking at them in person. Note to self: cross Minnesota off the places to live list. Just kidding...it actually looks like there are lots of fun things to do there. If that "new money" family had invited me I would have gone...although they wouldn't have invited me. We had that frost about a month ago and I had never seen it before. I was driving to Ward Council and wanting to turn around and go get the camera so badly. They just called it frozen fog here. I think I like that better than hoar frost. Either way, it really was spectacular.

Anyhow, thanks for the updates. Hope to see you SOON!

Emily said...

Those icicles are awesome! Gabe would be so jealous. He loves the break any small ones that he can find on cars or mailboxes.
It looks like ya'll are having fun! Thanks for the update post!

Melissa said...

Looks like you guys are having a fun winter in spite of the INSANELY COLD weather. Those pictures are making me cold! You're kids are growing up too fast.

Heather said...

So there actually is stuff to do in MN? Who knew! I know your probably just dying to come back to our dino museum though! (:
Those are killer ice cycles ...literally. Watch out for thoses things! Yikes!

Carlsbad Whitings said...

I love hoar frost, especially when it turns into hoar ice. We saw that on a trip to KY once and it was so shining and gorgeous! Isn't it a winter wonderland when the trees are coated? Where did Sara find that cute outfit for the gym? She really looked authentic. How fun to try out all kinds of adventures. I'm envious of your possibilities! Loved the pictures and the update. Love you too!

Megan, Maggie, Eva and Justin said...

Meg's dad had a professor in Med school that would draw full blown anatomy pictures using both hands at the same time. He said it was amazing to watch this guy draw using both hands. Maybe Sara will be like that too.

As for the gymnastics, I have two suggestions to get them to have more fun. 1. Offer them more money. You obviously didn't offer enough. 2. Make John wear the same outfit that Sara was wearing. I think that would help him get into the spirit of things. Honestly Maggie's favorite part of the whole thing is when they give her a stamp on the hand at the end when she leaves. What a nut!

Tell Jared the beard looks good. You should go for one too. And not only does it help you stay warm, your razor blades last much longer. That amounts to big savings!

Jus

Jen said...

Wow, you guys have been busy. I didn't know about that Swedish castle. Those lonely people. So sad that nobody would go to their party. I would have, in a heartbeat. Of course, they probably wouldn't have invited me.

Get that girl into gymnastics. I loved doing gymnastics as a kid and wish Mike was into it so I could get the girls signed up. The compromise is ice-skating.

So many icicles. Don't let one poke your eye out (like in a Christmas Story).

So glad you guys are making the most of life in MN:)

Brigette said...

Wow that's a lot of adventures! Sara's hair is SO long and cute now - she's looking so big!