So, at the beginning of Feb. I saw a lot of cute Chinese cartons around since it was the Chinese New Year on Feb 14th, so I really wanted to get some to use as goody boxes to take to all the YW, but they were pretty pricey. Then my genius counselor found them on clearance after V-Day, so she bought 15 and we filled them up with several kinds of cookies. I was still thinking it just needed something more, and then it came to me--get some fortune cookies and put in a note how "FORTUNE-ate" we are to be their YW leaders. I thought it was a pretty good one, maybe a teeny bit cheesy, or a lot, but anyway, there's the idea. It could easily be used for any number of other occasions, and you could just use cartons from your local favorite dive. The restaurant by me sold me 30 cookies for $2, which I certainly thought was a steal. Anyway, I had fun with it, and it was a fun way to introduce myself to the girls I didn't know, and to let all the girls know we appreciate them and love them.

The other idea was also genius, but I'll take no credit. I stole this from LeShel, who did an Activity Day thing with it, that I keep on my fridge still. See how cute? So I thought I could adapt it to a Personal Progress kind of chart thing.

If it's hard to tell what it is, it is sheet metal (I bought a sheet from Home Depot for less than $7) which was cut down to size (with tin snips). This stuff is VERY sharp
, so I think she taped each edge with duct tape, I used electrical tape. I should say Jared used electrical tape, because he actually did that part. He was a ton of help with this one--thanks, Babe! Then I covered it with scrapbooking paper. I learned the hard way (although it's pretty obvious) that you have to make sure the paper will not bulge out from the metal or the magnets won't stick, so I started putting that adhesive tape runner stuff on the front side of the metal to keep the paper nice and snug. Then I put on the little word strips with the individual magnets. That way, they can move things around as they complete things. So, right now mine just says I'm working on Faith (I have the other values stuck on the back of mine). After I finish that, I can move it to the completed side and add another.
Those took a little bit of time, but they're not expensive and I thought they were cool. I'm still making some extras to have for the incoming girls through this year, so maybe I'll take more pictures of each step.


Consider yourself TAGGED to share a good idea on your blog! :o)
9 comments:
Very cute! Those are great ideas.
i love the take out box! so cute.
i totally forgot about the Faith in God magnets. Love the idea with the YW.
Love both ideas. Could they be adapted for a Relief Society Meeting?
Those are so cute! The ideas are great and also the execution of the ideas. I have a feeling they may not be nearly as cute if I attempted them. You really are talented! I want you to be my young women leader!
I love chinese take out boxes. I was actually thinking of using them for my Winter Girls Night, that I never planned, and now Winter is almost over. I am also thinking of using them for teacher appreciation gifts for our upcoming Primary teacher meeting. But the sheet metal...now that's way over my head. Looks like you are doing a great job!
See, I knew you would be great in YW. Those are super adorable.
Those are such cute ideas Katelin! Love them both. Might have to "borrow" them for my YW. Hope you guys are good.
Thanks for the card and pictures from John and Sara. You've got a couple of little artists on your hands there. That was a fun surprise in the mail! I'm hating being in bed ... but LOVING Burn Notice. We're almost through with Season 1. Thanks for the recommendation!
super cute, great idea with the chinese things! way to go. love it when like that happen. helps you feel like you're serving right where heavenly father wants you to.
super cute, great idea with the chinese things! way to go. love it when like that happen. helps you feel like you're serving right where heavenly father wants you to.
Post a Comment