Saturday, June 11, 2011

Michael

Everyone we have been talking to has asked us for some more pics of the new little guy. Here goes.

Michael Ryan Morton was born at 0752 on 7 June 2011. He weighed 8 lbs. 11 oz. (which is exactly what Jared weighed), and was 21 1/4" long. His Apgar scores at 1" and 5" were 8 and 9, respectively, meaning he was pretty much an optimally healthy baby. He was born at Fairview Ridges Hospital in Burnsville, MN via a scheduled C-section. As far as the name goes, there is no specific reason that we named him Michael, other than it being a classic name that sounds good at all ages. His middle name is after Ryan Hess, the good friend of ours that died last May. I wouldn't name one of my kids after just anyone, but Ryan Hess was an exceptional person - an example in a thousand ways. I am honored to have my boy carry his name.

I have been given permission by Katelin to say what I am about to say this: Things could barely have gone any smoother. After the surgery, Kate had some nausea, but meds were always able to take care of it before any vomiting, and it had subsided enough for Katelin to eat by the day after. There were no other complications, and Kate left the hospital just over 48 hours after the C-section. Her OB had said to her a few weeks ago that she was "going to love this C-section." It turns out he was right. He is kind of a pioneer in the use of dissolvable staples. They go in subcutaneously and dissolve after a few days, which means no "train track" scars. Also, less chance of infection, less pain, etc.

Everything also went almost perfectly with the baby. He was a little irritable after his circumcision, which I assured him was completely understandable. He has been eating and voiding well, and seems pretty content. His behavior is a lot like Sara's right after she was born. He is pretty mellow. He spends a few minutes looking around and sneezing when he is awake, and then just goes back to sleep.

Everything is now going fine with the kids also. Initially, John refused to come to the hospital. We could not figure out why, but he was just plain not interested in seeing the baby. He eventually came around, and is really enjoying it now. Sara has been enjoying it for months.

Anyway, the pictures are below.

***WARNING: THE FIRST THREE PICTURES ARE FROM THE OR, A LITTLE BLOODY***

Dr. Shibley starting to lift out the head.

Dr. Shibley lifting Michael out. It's hard to tell from this picture, but his first act in mortality was to whiz all over the doctor.

Dr. Shibley holding up the baby for the first squawk.

First picture after they made the baby presentable.

Michael caterwauling next to his official weight readout.

Michael, paterfamilias, materfamilias.

Eating his fingers.

Putting his finger on his nose. He did this for a long time, and it was really cute.


First sleep.

The happy sister.

The (reluctantly) happy brother. You have no idea how many booger and poop jokes it took to get John to smile. Telling him that Michael peed all over the doctor finally put him over the top for a good belly laugh and a great picture.

The Three.

Baby and Dad.

Baby and Mom.

13 comments:

Cheryl said...

He is amazing! Congratulations guys. I'm so happy that the C section went so well. Those staples sound great.
What a cute family!

cindave said...

Congratulations! What a handsome little man! Glad he's here safe and sound.

Seth and Julie said...

I can't believe you are home already and I have been playing the is it too soon to call game all week. Seth has been out of town so I never did find a quiet moment but you have been in my thoughts and prayers all week. How fun to be able to take delivery pics that are appropriate for posting on blogs. I am so glad things went so smoothly this time. I love the name Michael Ryan, but of course I already told you that when I saw you. AND do I dare say that I think this one looks a little bit like his mama? I still see Jared but he is not as cookie cutter Morton as the other two were, at least not yet. Congrats to the whole gang. I know this little guy was a long time coming and it gives me chills to see his sweet name at the top of your blog and his sweet body resting peacefully in your arms. Love you guys!

Emily said...

So cute! I wish we lived close so our little guys could be best friends! Congratulations!

Emily said...

P.S - I love the name Michael. That is one that we considered too.

LeShel said...

He is absolutely adorable. I just want to snuggle up to him and sniff his babyness and watch him grow. Wish you were coming to church here. Congrats!

Carlsbad Whitings said...

Welcome to the world Michael! We are so glad to welcome you to the family. Good choice of parents and sibs too, you are so loved already.

Do I detect a tinge of red in your peach fuzz? I hope so, I love red hair! Take care, I can't wait to see you.

Kati said...

YAY for the pictures!!! He is so cute! And looks a lot like John, wow. So happy that things went so well!!

Melissa said...

Awwww!! Cute! Thanks for posting all those. I'm so glad it went well. Keep the pictures coming!

Melanie said...

I love all the details! Thanks for keeping us updated. We are so excited to have him join the family.

The Whitings said...

"He has been eating and voiding well, and seems pretty content." I'm confused. Is this line describing Michael or Jared?

Grandma & Grandpa Morton said...

We're so happy for you guys and our new grandson!! We love the pictures and the commentary. We can hardly wait to see him and the rest of you very soon. We're so glad that everything went so well for him and Katelin. You deserve it! It's fun to get updates on John and Sara as well. See you soon.

Megan said...

He's great! I love him already!
So happy for you guys!