Saturday, June 4, 2011

Binkies, blankies, and baby prep...and a $70 bag of popcorn




Well, it really is almost here!! I'm scheduled for a C-section for Tuesday morning, bright and early, and I feel such a mix of emotions right now and I want to blog a little, so forgive me if it's a little jumbled. Of course I feel more than ready in some ways--my baby belly is really quite impressive, but I'm ready to evict the tenant! He's still totally squirmy, and I must be complaining a little too much, because the other day Sara asked if she ever gave me trouble. I could honestly answer her that she didn't though, or at least I've forgotten if she did. I remember getting more uncomfortable with John, although a big part of that was the end of summer heat. I think maybe the boys are bigger, too.

Two weeks ago Tuesday night (so at 37 weeks) I was having contractions consistently enough that we ended up in the hospital and we were so excited that we'd have an early surprise, but it was a false alarm. I thought 5/25 sounded like such a nice birthday, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. So, we've really been on pins and needles since then, expecting a repeat any second, but I haven't had any more consistent contractions. But, I've totally been having contractions, so it has really been a long ending for this pregnancy. The kids keep asking if the baby is squeezing my tummy anymore, because they can't wait to get to have sleepovers with friends for a few days. Sigh. Here's the picture we took as we headed off that night...



Okay, I should be done with my pity party, because of course at the same time as feeling all this discomfort and dare I say it? Pain! I've been feeling SO blessed. So many others have really difficult pregnancies, and mine just hasn't been so bad. I am so excited and we all are. The kids are just being totally adorable, even during trips to the boring fabric store to get blanket materials. I let them pick out some fabric to have one be from them.

Jared is patiently waiting...ha! Waiting is not really one of his favorite sports, and we have gone through quite a list of things keeping us busy, well, just passing the time really. He is on his fifth model airplane including about 50 hours spent making a Super Hornet. He has also finished the game Angry Birds--all 3 worlds. Lots of solitaire, and tons of crossword puzzles. Oh, and Burn Notice has been my thing, and sleep. I am still a master of sleep, though it is more and more fitful and uncomfortable. With every wince and gasp I make, Jared is quickly asking if it's a contraction, which it often is, but lots of flips, pokes and breakdancing on my insides can make me gasp, too.

I think I've got what I need ready to welcome a little man home. Several people have been so generous and lent/given us a ton of stuff, so we've hardly had to buy anything, so that's awesome! I had a good time getting out the clothes that I saved from John, and he thinks it's pretty funny he fit any of that. Oh, and the pix at the beginning of the post are from a shower my visiting teachers threw for me--SO nice!

Anyway, I'll post pictures of the blankets I've made and the carseat canopy--which I'm so excited about. My genius sis-in-law Megan had one for my niece, and then my friend Emily posted how she made one from a blog tutorial, so I decided I would try it. Big step for me to stray from my one thing I make--blankets. Anyway, I think it will be very handy! Like I said, I'll post pictures, but I'm going to have to go all the way downstairs to the other computer to upload photos.

**Okay, here are the pix...**

The kids picked the robot material...

And this is one of those triangle blankets, ready to make a baby burrito!


And, I promise some photos of the "big" kids, too. They really are so big, and love to remind me how old they are getting. John just lost his 6th tooth, so we hardly recognize him, and have resorted to calling him "Toothless." He still has 8 more days of kindergarten, but they have started their all day schedule, so I feel like I never see him now! He is a very good student, and really tries hard on every worksheet and assignment. I love helping him with homework, and am very proud of all he's learned this year. Oh, and about that $70 bag of popcorn--a few weeks ago, he put in a bag of microwave popcorn while I was teaching piano and made a slight mistake when he entered the number. Instead of 1:40, he did 4:40. Uh, yeah. That was close, and it pretty much roasted the microwave, and the lovely odor was awesome! So, we have a new microwave and a few more ground rules for it!

This picture is of John receiving an award at school for showing respect!

The next two are from his Spring Concert...


And Mother's Day...isn't this the sweetest thing?
And this toothless picture was taken two teeth ago...
And a little artwork...

Sara has been my little side kick, and I'm not sure I'm ready to send her off to school next year! She is so ready, though, and especially now that John is gone so much--the days are getting quite long for her! She has helped me help with "Project Think," which is a special thing I help with for a few of the kindergartners. She gets so excited for Thursdays, when we get to eat lunch with John and then do Project Think. We decided to do a science theme, so we've had a lot of fun. We planted seeds, went on a nature walk, did a butterfly garden, did a baking soda and vinegar volcano and coke and mentos fountain, and this week we made butter, so that has been a lot of fun.

She also has been with me at almost every doctor appointment, and the doc has let her help find the heartbeat and lots of other things, so that's been fun for her, too.

She is becoming quite an artist, too...

A little field trip to check out our friend's plane...
And a little party with a frog in the bath...John wasn't too sure at first, but then he loved it.
I feel like there are a million things I haven't blogged about--probably because there are--but that's good for now. We'll be back later with pictures of the newest little Morton! Any last minute advice on things that got you through the last of it or favorite things to do in the hospital? I'm totally dreading the whole hospital thing, but again, I'm so grateful for it at the same time.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Awwww Kate! What a cute post! I can't believe it's only TWO DAYS away! We're so excited for you and your family. Can't wait!

Carlsbad Whitings said...

Thanks for the great update. Love the pictures! John looks so grown up, as does Sara. You also look adorable! We'll be praying harder for the next few days for you and little baby boy Morton. Much love to all!

Seth and Julie said...

Okay lady....you need to blog more often because there are WAY too many things in this post to comment on. Your belly looks great. The blankets look great. I love all the different fabrics. Your mother's day breakfast is the cutest and I hope you ate all of it, except for the dandelions, which were an adorable touch. Your kids are such gifted artists. And John looks like a spitting image of Jared in that toothless picture. I know Jared has all his teeth but still the resemblance is stronger than ever. I can't wait to see if your new little guy looks like the other two. GOOD LUCK tomorrow. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Margie said...

So fun to read and see the kiddos growing up. i LOVED reading Johns MD note to you- LOVED it! I really get a kick out of the way kids spell and their handwriting, so so cute :) I can't wait to see pix of the newest cutie to enter the morton familia! I was teased with a little cell phone pix and me want MORE!!!!! Hope you are healing fast and enjoying every second with that little bundle of joy :) Love you!