
So, I'm ready to move on already from my last post--thanks again for your kind words. Here are the pictures from the county fair from a few weeks ago. It was a HOT day, but we had gotten this bee in our bonnet to sign the kids up for the mutton busting. See, many eons ago, Jared took me to his hometown's Strawberry Days, where we loved to see the poor little kids riding the sheep like it was a rodeo. So hysterical! They had them all released at the same time, and then they were tossed off into the soft dirt of the big ring, so it was quite a show, but very safe, albeit messy. So I did a little research to see if such high culture was available in my county, and it was! I was so excited! So, I made them wear pants and real shoes and we discussed strategy and headed off to the fair, helmets in tow. We did wander around for a while...here's the pix from checking out the swine barn...

And we did pass on this delicacy-dang!

Not exactly the "wild animal
petting zoo" that we anticipated--thank goodness! Those are wolves.

And they went crazy over the chickens, just like their dad. I did not try to put my fingers in--not even a temptation.


And, then it was finally time for the mutton busting! And they had a jimmy-rigged "arena" set up on a patch of grass that was pretty tiny, and a teeny set of bleachers set up for the crowd. Needless to say, that was unimpressive, but they were excited.




And then it was Sara's turn..

And she got bucked off and then stepped on, so she was hating on all things mutton busting. I had the camera on video and have yet to figure out how to put videos on here, but it's pretty sad. I was not feeling so smug about my decision to push them into this. Oops. John still was ready to go, though.



And he stayed on 7.6 seconds or something and LOVED it! Half of that time he was completely hanging off to one side, but still held on pretty long. It was really adorable and the crowd really cheered him. It was so cute!

Sara's "I'll never forgive you, Mom" face.

Until you take me on the Ferris Wheel! All better! Whew.


John also did the crazy house thing, but I had the camera on video again. After that, we took off pretty quick, because it was so humid and hot, but it was a pretty fun day. Should I sign them up next year? :o)
5 comments:
I love love love that picture of Sara with the sad face. Oh she is so cute! They both look so adorable. What a fun thing to do. I have never even heard of that before.
i think it's awesome that you signed your kids up for mutton busting!
and also, i just had to tell you that i had a dream about you last night. you were chasing me and trying to kill me. yeah, that's right. geez katelin!! i stood at the top of a staircase where i was trapped and waited to beat you (in defense) of course with a long wooden brush of some sort that just happened to be waiting at the top of the stairs. and then instead of you came a woman in my ward. i hit her. whoops! and then i ran outside, you chased me, and it came out that you were mad because you thought i had a crush on justin. i probably did at one point, but i'm over it! i swear!! WEIRD DREAM...
This activity just screams Jared. I told Seth and we had a good laugh about it. That is definitely something I had never heard of before. You should absolutely sign them up again. Anything that makes for funny pictures, and cute blog posts, right?
How fun to go to the fair! Some of my fondest childhood memories are from the Blackfoot Idaho State Fair where my dad had a big exhibit and we gourged on pronto pups and ice cream sundaes on a stick. The fried pnut butter andwiches sound interesting, but not as interesting as the deep fried coke I saw on the food channel the other day. Way to make memories (albeit not so good for Sara) for the kids! These will be forever stories for the family.
I love fairs and am really looking forward to the MN State Fair this weekend. The mutton busting looks hilarious. I would so make the girls do it.
Post a Comment