Yesterday in school, I read to the kids the classic children's book, "The Giving Tree," by Shel Silverstein. It was in the lesson plan, and I didn't really think anything of it. I love this book, right? I even bought this book when I joined the Children's Book-of-the-Month club before I was even pregnant. I knew it was a great book. You only buy good ones for your unborn children, right?
Well, when we read it yesterday, something hit me that I'm not sure I noticed before. But first I should probably recap the story line if you aren't up on it. The basic plot is that there is a tree who loves this boy and as he grows older she finds ways to give him things and she is happy to be able to give of herself. As a boy he plays in her branches and eats her apples and climbs her trunk, but then grows older and uniterested. She then gives him her apples to sell when he wants money, she gives her branches when he wants to build a house, she gives her trunk when he wants to build a boat and sail away, and then finally lets him just sit and rest when she is just a stump. Well, if you look a little closer, the boy's behavior is completely selfish and I didn't like that part of it.
He never says thank you, it never says he is happy, and it seems to be a pretty unhealthy relationship in the end. Maybe it's actually kind of realistic to have him be only concerned with himself, but it seems like he could have been a better example to my little sponges. Would it hurt the story if the boy had grown older and yet still been kind and grateful to his old friend, the tree? Did he have to lose the wonder of boyhood so dramatically? Did his selfishness add to the book? What if he had found a way to give something back to the tree and bring the story full-circle? Couldn't he have brought his own kids to the beloved tree (although the book seems to lend to the idea that this selfish guy ends up all alone so maybe he didn't have kids--maybe there is a lesson there too)? Or plant some of her apple seeds to grow some more around her or something?
Am I alone on this?
4 comments:
That's funny ... I had that same thought when I got that book. That is one unselfish tree! And a little gratitude and less "gimmee gimmee" wouldn't have killed that boy.
Uh-oh...one long post and you're hooked. Be careful or you will turn into me with every thought in your head posted for world viewing. Ha,Ha. Just kidding, post as much as you want, please!
I loved Shel Silverstein as a child. The Giving Tree was my favorite but I have those poem books and loved them too. I read them again in college and was amazed at how inappropriate, bizarre and sometimes almost offensive some of those poems are. I noticed the same thing about the Giving Tree and I was so sad because that really had been a favorite of mine.
All very good and valid concerns. I dont like that kid.
Dang, and I think I used that story once in a Church lesson to show unselfish giving! Dang kid anyway! Serves him right, sitting alone on a tree stump at the end of his life!
Just booked our trip to see the MTC in Dec. How exciting! I have an extra ticket if you can come!
Post a Comment