Monday, December 22, 2008

When did I move to Antarctica?

I don't even know where to start. Although, I do know I'm ready to start walking south! It has been so snowy and cold, it's just been crazy. We took these pictures on Friday before the cold and wind came. I think the whole world around here was cancelled on Friday--they even closed the freeway from the IL/WI border to the Milwaukee airport exit!! Mutual has been cancelled the last two weeks, and church was even cancelled yesterday! Anyway, so Friday it was "just" snow. Then the temp started dropping and dropping, and the wind started going berserk (sp?). With the windchill it was -36 yesterday, and I think it is only warming up a few degrees today. It's supposed to warm up a little tomorrow.

I guess I shouldn't complain, and I should just be grateful that we have warm shelter, food, etc., but it is just too cold to not complain right now! I should have taken a picture this morning, but there was so much snow drifted and plowed back over the bottom of our driveway that I helped Jared shovel so he could get off to work. I think it was easily four feet tall for the bottom ten feet of the driveway. Yeah, that was fun. Trying to breathe over frozen nose hair and trying to lift snow chunks bigger than me without losing the feeling in my frozen fingers. Awesome.

On top of this crazy weather, of course the city has cut back on plowing this year to save money. Love it. Now I know they'll stop delivering mail, because they do that when they can't easily reach the box from the comfort of the truck. Well, then the city needs to plow those six feet in front of it, right?! Is that really my job?

So, put all this together and you can imagine the stir craziness and frustration I'm feeling.

Hey, at least the kids have stopped throwing up. They both happened to throw up at our friends' house last week, one Tuesday night and the other on Friday. Yeah, we're the really fun people to invite over now!! Oops.

So, here are the kids posing to show how deep the snow is...
Check out the drifts--you can see the grass poking through and then the "wave" It looks a little weird, but I'm so jealous of this neighbor with the snow blower with its own room!
Go, Jared!! If only someone paid us for the time we spend shoveling...


You know it's bad when this is INSIDE your garage...


So, there you have it. I'm not one to play "top that" too often, but go ahead. I dare you!

8 comments:

Cheryl said...

No kidding. I was thinking all of this yesterday cooped up in the house watching the snow fly around and having to turn up the heater because it was so cold outside that it was having a hard time keeping our house warm.
Oh well.
Our mail actually didn't come Friday. She never showed up. Usually we get this note in our mailbox after the snow saying it is supposed to be removed for a 10-20 foot curve so she can drive her little truck right up to the mailbox. Today the winds had put snow back in front of it and she almost didn't stop but then I'm pretty sure she saw me there watching so she came back.

cindave said...

WOW. i can't top it. although i did see an accident today in the snow. i was on the freeway, and suddenly see an SUV flying through the air towards me on the other side of the freeway. he slammed into the cement barrier and fell back. i saw it on my way home and it was laying there on its side, but i didn't see any other cars, so hopefully it was just him. it was nuts, but does not top your crazy weather!!

Heather said...

We so hear your pain! There is actually frost on the INSIDE of the windows, and you can feel the air blowing through the doors. You would think they would be prepared for this sort of stuff, and insulate better! Santa will feel very at home here!

Team Ryan said...

Ohhh Katelin, time to move out this way! Just seeing all those pictures makes me cringe! Ahhhh.... I am glad everyone is feeling better! Take care and STAY warm!

Katelin said...

Yes, Margie, I'm so coming!! I'm so ready to move south.

Kim said...

Minus 50 temps for three weeks at a time, usually in Jan and Feb in West Yellowstone.
Sometimes it was too cold to snow. Shoveling five feet of snow off OUR ROOF for fear the wieght of the snow would cave in the roof. Drifts that were fifteen feet high-my kids walked up them to get on the roof!
Frozen water pipes, and ten foot high drifts that never completely melted until June.
Our heater in our home froze up and would not work because the coils were frozen. We had to wait for the temps to warm up. Thank goodness for a wood burning stove.
Yep, living in West Yellowstone, MT last winter was FUN!
But our little town plugged on. We had to. It's how we made a living. We learned to store food like squirrels and felt like we lived in an igloo.
Church and school were never cancelled. Outdoor recess occurred until the temps reached -10. Parents were also turned into Social Services on grounds of neglest if kids did not have boots, gloves, hats, snowpants or warm coats.
Not to play Top That, but I think we come really close!
It's why we moved south to warm Idaho Falls. We've only had three feet of snow, -1 temps so far and yes, a Walmart that was still open!

Katelin said...

You win.

Kim said...

It seems so crazy to live life experiences that feel like they should have come straight from a Little House on the Prairie book. It is so amazing that in this day and age we can still be "disabled" by things of nature. I feel your angst.