SHEER EMBARRASMENT.
I was telling this story to some friends and thought I should post it, for your reading pleasure... At John's last check-up, he asked, about as soon as the doctor came in the room, if she would give him a sticker. She said of course and asked what kind he'd like. An innocent enough question it might seem, but I think she left it too open-ended for John, who then said he'd like a tiger one, of course. Well, then when she tried to explain that she really only had two choices for him, and she even went and brought them back to try and peddle her goods. Nope! My child did not politely say thank you and accept what was offered to him gratefully. He asked what else she had. Aagh! Of course I was trying to say she did not need to try to satisfy him any further, but she kindly was trying to oblige. She was trying to think of what she had when he asked specifically for a fish toy (Of course he remembered these from a visit like a million years ago). What child is negotiating for their prize from the doctor when they are four? I think my face was kind of red.
Oh, but wait. There is more. After the nurse gave him two shots, he started a little (huge) fit and went off yelling about how he will never, ever come again. I believe the words stupid and doctor may have been mentioned as well, but it was hard to tell since he was being so calm and composed--at the top of his lungs. Perhaps I should have prepared him for these shots, although I'm not sure it would have helped. I tried to tell him that shots help us stay healthy so we don't get polio so our legs will work. He was inconsolable for several minutes and didn't care about being healthy!! Of course a few minutes later he was telling Sara that she had to have shots so her legs would work, so I guess he was listening. I'd say he'll get over it, but I bet I'll hear about it for many doctor's visits to come. He'll remember. Kids.
PS--Sara was excited about making some jell-o a few days ago, but I think she was confused, because she insisted that it was "jealous" not jell-o and she couldn't wait to tell her joy school teacher about it. I believe there was a lesson about emotions that didn't fully sink into her almost-three-year-old mind. What can I say?
What Have You Been Canning this Summer?
7 years ago
6 comments:
UGH. i feel for you, katelin! andersen hasn't done too bad with shots lately, but his vocabulary is getting bigger, and he's getting sassier, much to my chagrin. i dread those appointments! gotta love those times.
That is a great story!
Most kids would get over it but John will surely remember it forever! I forgot to tell you that yesterday he requested that I call him Viper now because Viper is much cooler than Tigress. He said it so seriously too. He is hilarious!
Brian said "you should of realized what you were getting into when you chose to marry that guy!!!"
it willl be better next time - i promise! my j opted for the flu shot this year instead of the flu mist! yep, on his own - and didn't even flinch. he told me he wanted the shot so he could have a new bandaid! crazy kids.
p.s. the duck sounds so yummy... count us it someday when we can afford to visit!
John has got to be the funniest kid ever!
Post a Comment